When my GoPro Omni rig arrived in Washington, D.C. I was so excited to test out the “official” 360 rig of GoPro I even did a Facebook Live video of the unboxing to answer questions from my fellow filmmakers.
Unfortunately, while the rig-only option came with what was expected — the Omni rig without GoPro cameras or external power — since most 360 filmmakers already have 6, 12 or more GoPros, it did not come with a key component.
After much searching on GoPro’s support website and hitting conflicting instructions from customer support this is the manual GoPro should have included.
Step 1: Prepare
- Update all of your GoPro Hero 4 Black cameras to the latest software (version 3.00.00 released July, 2015) here: https://gopro.com/update/hero4
- Create a GoPro Community Support Hub Account here: https://community.gopro.com/
- Register your GoPro Omni here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Omni-Registration/ct-p/OmniRegistration
- Download Firmware for GoPro Cameras here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/Omni/ct-p/Omni
- Label your cameras 1–6
- Copy Primary Camera firmware file to Camera 1
- Copy Secondary Camera firmare file to Cameras 2–6